Monday, October 12, 2009

Beware the Subway and elevator doors! (And more observations)

'Ello loved ones! It is I again! This one consists of a few stories, some things I miss, and some more Korean observations. Enjoy.

-On Saturday, I was travelling to Seoul with my friend Sae-rom. As we transferred from the blue to the green line...we walked down the stairs and Sae-rom exclaimed "That's the one we need!" So we ran over to the train and I hopped on. Well as I turned around, I noticed, to my dismay, that the doors were closing and my large bag had prevented Sae-rom from hopping on after me before the doors closed. Blast!!! She made the universal "thumb and pinky to ear I'll-call-you" sign...but my phone was dead. Soooo....I thought "i'll just get off at the stop we were going to meet at and wait for her, no big deal." but I soon noticed that I was in fact, not on the right train, but going in the opposite direction than I needed to be. Double blast!!! So I jumped off at the next station. Luckily, Sae-rom caught the next train and we found eachother with no more porblems. Boarded the correct train, and succesfully, if not timely, made it to Seoul.

-Elevators- the doors! They close SO QUICKLY! None of this stay open for 20 seconds stuff. It's literally a 3-5 second open and close deal. If more than one person is getting on you have to actually hold the <> door open button so they have time to get on. It's very interesting with a bike in tow let me tell you. ESPECIALLY when the elevator is tiny. I have to take my bike up the elevator at my school so it won't get stolen... I push the button, rear my bike up on it's back wheel, hold the back brake handle so it doesn't go anywhere, and shove myself in with it. Joy and rapture unforseen. Every day. It's almost as much work backing it off the elevator into the hallway before the doors shut on me! HA!

-Touch- Koreans display emotions by touch? This statement is partially untrue because it's not like they go off and smack eachother in the face in a dispute. (that I've seen) An example, my boss's parents rode home with us on Friday night because they were staying the weekend. His mom grabbed my hand halfway through the car ride because they were talking (in Korean) about how I was far away from home and I must miss my parents. Mr. Kim explained to me that this was normal, and not to "be alarmed." Which I wasn't. It's just much different than in America. Also, I noticed that Korean girls walk arm and arm or hand in hand much of the time. It's perfectly normal. One of my friends does it to me as well...but I think that she is also partially steering me, because I don't know where I'm going much of the time...lol.

-In a discussion about North and South Korea in class the other day, one of my students stated that he thought the North Korean government would fail within the next 3-4 years. I asked him "What do you think will occur when this happens?" to which he replied "I think you should not be in Korea when that happens." HAHAAA! No problem.

-This same student was asking me about what I watched in my apartment. I told him that I had only been able to find one English channel the first day I was here because I only had cable, so I hadn't turned on my TV since then. He said that there were more English channels on satellite TV and did I want it? I said no...I was doing fine with having the internet. "but I can get it for you, for free." lol.....oh my... nooo.....thanks. ha.

-Koreans age AMAZINGLY well. They have a game show where people try and guess the ages of the contestants. Almost every time, the guess is way too low. I saw a man who looked 35, but he was actually 61. My goodness.

-Ordering in resturants/ eating- Usually food is ordered, and then shared by all people. You just eat from the same plate. It's not a bad idea.

-I can't even stress how much I took a dryer for granted. Washing and drying clothes is much more of a process since you can't just throw them in the dryer. My clothes aren't as soft either. *sigh*

-Many Koreans brush their teeth after every meal. They just have their toothbrush with them always. Oral hygiene. Alright!

-High heels. "Everybody's in stilettos! Guess I didn't get the memo!" -song...sorry....but really. Everyone where's high heels. It's crazy! I would literally fall on my face, I'm already clumsy. Not to mention I would be taller than everyone else. Good thing I'm an American and can be forgiven (or so I assume) for wearing flip flops around...lol.

-I'm going to have to start liking spicy FOOOOD! AH!

-Roti buns- delicious. Warms buns that are slightly sweet with a buttery gooey center. My gosh.

-Liquid yogurt- people LOVE it here. And I have to admit...it's quite yummy.

-Waiting a whole month to be paid-Not my idea of a good time.

-Had some Mcdonalds french fries friday night. My first American food since I've been here. And can I just say....they were heaven. And unlike Disney World...I was not attacked by birds while eating them...but I think that's just because Brad wasn't here to taunt them by holding one in the air....lol.

I miss everyone!
Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment