Wednesday, October 21, 2009

And then nature decided....It was Fall.

Because I walked out one morning...and all of the sudden, it was. And it was beautiful. I think that I get to enjoy fall more than other people who live in the city on a day to day basis because I have a strip of park right outside my apartment. There aren't many trees in the more downtown area. For some reason, the park "workers" we'll call them for lack of a better name, have gone all out. There are flowers EVERYWHERE in pots. It's like spring almost. Strange. Today on my run there were people everywhere taking pictures. I must have missed something.
It's strange how I never realized how much my sense of smell was a huge part of Fall as well. In the U.S. I noticed the smell of the fallen leaves after it rained, the smell of the crisp mornings, and my favorite, the smell of the fires in the chimneys when it got cold enough. Here, even though it's beautiful, there is always a smell of exhaust unless I go to the mountains on the weekend. And I think the closest I'm going to get to a fireplace smell is a pile of burning leaves. There are no houses here, therefore no fireplaces.

I love the Bakery's here. They are as numerous as coffee shops with one on practically every corner. The 2 main Bakery's are Tous Le Jour and Paris Baguette. I think Paris is my favorite. You walk into the store, grab a tray and tongs, and place whatever you want on the tray as you walk around. They have everything. It's pretty amazing.

An unusual and suprising treat here is called the red bean. It's a very popular thing to eat. Now, I have an aversion to beans so I was reluctant to try it but Sarah bought me some dough balls with red bean filling inside at a subway station not too long ago. WOW!! So good. She also told me to buy a red bean ice cream treat shaped like a fish next time I saw one...and I did...and I LIKED it! The bean has a sweet taste to it and only has the slight consistency of a mashed up bean. I think they make drink out of it too.

I went to McDonalds after I got my first paycheck. I ordered a Big Mac meal. I know some of you don't like McDonalds...but...can I just say how delicious it is to eat something you know they have America? I'd also be willing to bet this McDonalds was cleaner. :) They also have a nifty way of giving you your drink to go. They just slip it in a plastic sack with handles that was made the perfect size to carry your cup. Handy!

I'm thrilled to say that all of my socks still match. No one here to get them confused with. ;) though I did find a Wall-e chew hole in one of them that I hadn't noticed before I left. I guess he wanted to give me something to say goodbye too. Thanks Wall-e!

Two days ago, on our way home from work, my boss was driving. Him and his wife said to me "Sorry Kaley, I have to drive aggressive sometimes." I hadn't even noticed. (I was getting used to it?) Yesterday my boss went out after work so his wife drove us home instead. I kid you not when I say I ended up in Han's (secretary) lap on one of her turns. I said "Now THAT'S aggressive driving!! You should drive every night!!" We laughed the whole way home. It's great when people in the same car barely speak the same language and we can all be laughing about the same thing.

I went to the Olympic park with Jackie last Saturday. It was amazing. It's where the 1988 Seoul Summer Olympics were held. I love the Olmpics. Even though all of the buildings were locked we were able to see how large all of them were. We walked on the same sidewalk that hundreds of thousands of people would have walked on more than 20 years ago. Interesting sculptures were everywhere around the park and the fall leaves made it even more awesome. We found all the country flags, the fire was still lit under the huge peace gate and we walked through the Olympic museum. There was a small room that held information about this years Winter Olympics in Vancouver. I'm excited to watch them as the winter olympics are my favorite. Maybe that will give me a reason to turn my T.V. on. I hope the announcers are english though...

This part of the Blog will be used to tell Melanie Dawn good luck! She's eagerly awaiting her baby boy to enter our world and I'm so excited for her! I love you!!

I miss everyone!
Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment